Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Will You Wrap Me in Cellophane, Cover Me In Duct Tape?"

I can see this being a country song. Or maybe a good techno rant about fetishes or something. But really it's just a question from a girl who likes to make things. It never comes off well though --if I can stop laughing long enough to actually ask it, and the response is not quite as accepting as the response from asking a favor like "will you loan me that book?"

Although I can't say, if asked, I would respond much differently. Stripping yourself down and asking somebody to cover you in plastic and line you with tape is somewhat of a personal matter. It gets especially real when you tell them to "shape the boob" or "really get in there." This is certainly a job for a good long-term friend who has already seen you at your worst and a sister who isn't allowed to stop loving you.

Also, this is certainly a job for multi-colored duct tape, as you will feel like Super Woman, Iron Man and McDonald's all in one moment. It's a magical feeling.
At the end of the day, this is just a dress form. Something I can fill with newspaper or batting and use as a form to shape and tailor my own clothing. To me, the making of your own clothing seems like such a romantic notion. Old school and simple. (Although actually making your own clothing well is crazy hard. Crazy.) The pasties and the landing strip give it a nice touch though; they sort of bring me back to the present, right?

Some thoughts upon finishing my dress form:
  1. I first covered myself in a layer of cellophane. I should have put baby powder or gauze or something thin underneath. An old t-shirt maybe. It got a little hot and sweaty under there (so exciting and all), and cutting me out wasn't so easy. I got a few cuts to show for it, oh, but it's worth it. :)
  2. I used two rolls (one red, one yellow) to cover a short sleeved/panted suit area. After cutting myself out, I kind of wished we had done a second layer to make it a little more solid. I haven't stuffed it yet, and this may not matter once I do, but cutting it off, it's very flimsy. I would think it's possible to over stuff it as well. Any given cross section of my mid-section may be ovular, but overstuffing may make it circular. This isn't a problem if cutting for size, but it doesn't really help when you're worried about fit, right?
  3. Don't get any tape on your skin. Just don't. The hard parts are the arm pits and the chub-rub area. Take some time to make sure these are covered completely. You'll be thanking yourself later. Nobody needs a duct tape "waxing," if you know what I mean.
  4. Use shorter strips of tape for the curvier areas. For shorter radius curves, lay strips across the valley (i.e. cleavage), then pinch and fold the extra tape down and cover again tightly with a thin tape strip laid down along the divot to help shape a little boob valley. I don't have much to work with here anyway, but I'd think this carries over from fried eggs up to melons.
  5. Cut slow. Make sure your skin is out of the way first. Seems intuitive enough, but just remind yourself. Trust me.
  6. Come up with a strategy for getting yourself out of it before you get yourself in it.
  7. Take a leak first.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!! If you try this at home, it will get very hot. You will be sweaty and the cellophane will stick to your skin (which makes it very scary to cut you out of the mold). So be careful!